Saturday, June 14, 2008

"One of those Days!"

Have you ever had one of those days when you are not sure you can handle anything else going wrong? Normally I can laugh off these things that go wrong. Friday was not one of those days. While I was talking to T’s gymnastics coach, C walked up nonchalantly and said T just locked the keys in the car. All I could say was, “Are you serious?” It wouldn’t be so bad, normally I could call my husband and he would bail me out. Not this week. Darling Husband is away in PA at a required school for his job. I am here in NC. I have no extra keys to the car, he has the spare, the neighbor might have a spare house key, but that doesn’t do me any good with transportation. Needless to say, all this went through my head in about 30 seconds flat and I slid to the floor and just sat there. I didn’t cry, I just shook my head in frustration and decided we were going to sleep on the sidewalk tonight. This was the end of an already spectacular week of temper tantrums, 9 year old attitude, and me recovering from bronchitis. Let’s just say, while I didn’t yell or cry, it wasn’t my most graceful of moments. I just sat there dumbfounded on the floor of the gym lobby. A few friends gathered around, brainstorming how to help me out of this mess. Can we slide a window down? Are you sure it’s locked? Can we call the police and have them unlock it? I was speechless, and that does not happen often! I texted hubby to see if he really did have the spare keys, he did. Then he called to see what was up, and tried his best to be supportive. I hung up with him and the coach shows up with a coat hanger. At this point, I am worried. But the fact that he got the door open, I had left the widow cracked because of the heat, in less than 10 minutes worries me more. He must be an old pro at this! So we got home, unscathed. Weeks like this one leave me feeling exhausted.

Today’s experience was the culmination of a particularly grueling week. C’s attitude has been particularly sour since daddy has been away. T is mostly OK, just tired and achy adjusting to her new gym schedule. I said some things I shouldn’t have in a later conversation with my husband, and I regret it. Problem is you can’t take back what you said. It will probably stick with him for a while, it was hurtful. I’ll ask for forgiveness, and he will forgive, he usually does, he tries to understand how difficult it can be for me going to school full time, handling the kids and the house. He's a really great guy. I', thankful he loves me through these times.

Can I have a do over?

No comments: