Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Winning Battle!

Today was a good day! We had a swim meet and had so much fun! The reason I am so excited is that Cale actually swam tonight. He has been avoiding it because he has tubes in his ears and hates to put his ears and face in the water. We have had several meets now and he has been feeling a little left out. I encouraged him to going to practice this morning and got him to sign up for tonight's meet (2 events).

He still won't put his face in the water, but even with his face above water he managed to win his heat and take 4th place overall. Go Cale! I am not going to tell him what he could have done better. I am proud of him for overcoming his fear. I am proud of him for getting back in the pool. The best part was when we got home tonight and I asked if he was glad he swam. He admitted he had fun. Then I asked why he waited so long. He said he didn't know, but that he was glad he swam.

It was worth the wait. You cannot force a child to do something they think they cannot do. I waited patiently for him to see what he was missing. I think I might have won this battle.


Got to love this face! She had a great night. Four 1st places and loving every minute of it!

Tomorrow I have to drive to Raleigh for a Key Wives meeting. I guess I better get to bed. I am satisfied. My son overcame a fear. My daughter is on top of the world. My children had a good day. My husband, well, we're working on that, poor guy had a meeting and missed the meet, but he was waiting for me when I got home.

There are times when it feels you cannot reach your child, spouse, or maybe a close friend. Don't give up on them. All of us have inner battles that we struggle with. It takes some longer than others to get past fears, doubts, and pain. Don't give up on them. It was so rewarding to see Cale's smiling face tonight. He knew he had dealt with his fear, he had beat it. And I knew, with time and patience, he could do it. I didn't push, he figured it out himself. Isn't that what growing up is all about?





1 comment:

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Yes, it's true. That is what growing up is all about. But, sometimes it's tough as a parent to sit back and wait. It's always worth it, though. To see the pride and sense of accomplishment on their little faces!! Awesome.

I am so happy for you guys - have a wonderful Saturday!

-Andrea